Published at PO Box 96 124 W. St. Clair Romeo, MI 48065. Phone: (586)752-3524 Fax: (586)752-0548
Updated Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 3 PM EST
|Home||Sports||Community||What's Happening||Classifieds||News Summary|
|DOROTHY MOLLON||EDWIN WERDERMAN|
|JAMES CRANNY||MARJORIE RENNY|
|PAUL UERLING||WITOLD BORONSKI|
|Browse Full Text...|
Friday, 2 pm
Inserts Friday, Noon
Editorial Monday, Noon
Service Directory Display Monday, 2 pm
Service Directory Liners Monday, 3 pm
Classified Liners All Holiday Deadlines are One Full Workday Earlier
You are Viewing an Archived IssuePosted: 01/09/13
GWAHS Top TenThe following is the Greater Washington Area Historical Society's 7th annual "Top Ten List" for 2012:
list for 2012
10. Celebrated the 7th George Washington Birthday Party in February with cherry treats for the community.
9. Held the 3rd annual George Washington Art Contest with third, fourth, and fifth grade students from Washington Elementary School. The top 27 entries were treated to a pizza lunch and tour of the museum. First, second, and third place artists won gift cards for Barnes & Noble.
8. Participated with the Friends of the Octagon House for the third antique show during the Washington Art and Orchard Festival in June.
7. Held a special museum tour in August for the Romeo High School Class of 1962 (50th reunion). Many of these students had also attended the Washington (museum) School.
6. Held the Autumn Daze Craft Show fundraiser in September.
5. Worked with the Romeo Historical Society to present a cemetery walk in October to feature Civil War and War of 1812 veterans buried in the Romeo Cemetery. Although the walk was cancelled due to rain, the participants shared their presentations at the Romeo Art & Archives Center.
4. The Washington Historical Museum was open the second and fourth Sundays from 1-4 p.m., from June to November.
3. Volunteers had many Thursday work days at the museum to change displays, inventory artifacts, and make repairs to the building. Current exhibits created this year were the "History of the Alward Family" and "Prom Dresses 1909 to 1973."
2. Awarded an historic date plaque to the Mount Vernon Methodist Church in December on the 140th anniversary of its building, 1872-2012.
1. Members Ron Gordon and Jean Holcomb were honored by the Macomb County Board of Commissioners as "Volunteers of the Year."
New members are always welcome. For more information about the GWAHS, visit www.washhistsoc.org or call (586) 786-5304 and leave a message.