Published at PO Box 96 124 W. St. Clair Romeo, MI 48065. Phone: (586)752-3524 Fax: (586)752-0548
Updated Wednesday, August 27, 2014 at 3 PM EST
|Home||Sports||Community||What's Happening||Classifieds||News Summary|
|ANN BUZINSKI||F. EUGENE BAILEY|
|FRANK SUPER||FREDERICK DIENER|
|JOAN BROCKMANN||LUCILLE MAHAFFY|
|MICHAEL STANSBURY||MICHAEL ZIONS|
|Browse Full Text...|
Friday, 2 pm
Inserts Friday, Noon
Editorial Monday, Noon
Service Directory Display Monday, 2 pm
Service Directory Liners Monday, 3 pm
Classified Liners All Holiday Deadlines are One Full Workday Earlier
You are Viewing an Archived IssuePosted: 02/19/14
Oakland Twp. approves
modification of bylaws
by STACY SOBOTKAThe Oakland Township Board of Trustees approved the modification of their bylaws at the Feb. 11 meeting.
Observer Special Writer
In November 2013, Township Trustee Mike Bailey, Township Clerk Karen Reilly, and Township Treasurer Jeanne Langlois formed a subcommittee to discuss updating the township's bylaws, which have not been updated since 1993. After putting together a revised version of the bylaws, they asked the Township Manager and Township Attorney to look at the revised draft. At the last meeting, the board agreed to look over the draft made by the subcommittee.
"This board didn't even know they had bylaws until recently. The previous two boards either didn't know or didn't follow them, for sure. I know some surrounding townships only recently found out they had bylaws," said Township Supervisor Terry Gonser.
Gonser felt there was no need to rush into revising the bylaws. Township Attorney Daniel Kelly told the board it was okay to do individual votes on each of the suggested changes.
One of the changes suggested was for meetings that went past 10:30 p.m. The board approved the bylaw to read as follows: "When the issue of time is raised by any board member, the township board shall not begin discussion or take action on any new agenda item after 10:30 p.m. unless a majority vote of the board members present approve an extension of time."
"That doesn't require us to act at 10:30; that permits us to act," said Langlois.
Township Manager Ann Capela said, based on her experience with previous boards, that a time length of meetings could be mentioned in bylaws.
"It's not an unusual request," she said.
The board also approved the revision of the rules of order, based on a list of suggestions made by Langlois.
Gonser also announced that the Stormwater, Asset Management, and Wastewater (SAW) grants the township applied for to use for the Paint Creek Mill Race restoration was not accepted.
"At this time, ours was not chosen. We will be getting together with ECT (Environment Consulting & Technology, Inc.) at the beginning of March in two or three weeks and discuss other avenues of pursuit," he said.
In other business, the Board of Trustees:
• Approved the Supervisory Control of Data Acquisition (SCADA) system site license agreement from the Oakland County Water Resources Commission. This would collect signals from water and sewer systems to ensure the systems are operating properly.
• Approved a request from their snow removal contractor Environment By Design to increase funding due to the increased price of salt.
• Approved a request to authorize the Township Manager at her discretion to accept a proposal from Environment By Design to move back the large snow piles in the township parking lot.
• Approved the revised sanitary sewer master plan from the Oakland County Water Resources Commission.
• Discussed the 2014-15 fiscal year budget process.
• Approved a request from Oakland Township Fire Chief Paul Strelchuk to add one additional paid on-call firefighter.
• Approved an agreement for ballot layout and programming.
• Approved Township Trustee Mike Bailey as the replacement to the Marsh View Connector Parking Lot Subcommittee.
• Approved a special resolution honoring Oakland Township resident Kush K. Shah for receiving the 2014 Gold Award from the Engineering Society of Detroit.