Published at PO Box 96 124 W. St. Clair Romeo, MI 48065. Phone: (586)752-3524 Fax: (586)752-0548
Updated Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 3 PM EST
Home Sports Community What's Happening Classifieds News Summary
BARBARA JACOBSBILL WELCH
DEATH NOTICESDONALD SCHMIDT
EUNICE ZIONSJOHN SZARAFINSKI
LORRAINE BOVEEMARGARET BOLIO
THELMA JACKLYN
Browse Full Text...
» Deadlines
Friday, 2 pm
Inserts

Friday, Noon
Retail Display
Editorial

Monday, Noon
Classified Display
Service Directory Display

Monday, 2 pm
Service Directory Liners

Monday, 3 pm
Classified Liners

All Holiday Deadlines are One Full Workday Earlier

You are Viewing an Archived Issue

Posted: 06/04/14


REBUILDING ROADS

The Macomb County Department of Roads is including a project in its 2014-15 budget to rebuild 32 Mile Road (also known as St. Clair Street). The Village of Romeo would contribute $158,400 to the $1.2 million project.

(Observer photo by Chris Gray)

Projects could improve
traffic on M-53, 32 Mile

by CHRIS GRAY
Observer Staff Writer
      Major projects along M-53 could be down the road in northern Macomb County.
       The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has offered Bruce Township two plans to restore access to M-53 from 33 Mile Road.
       The Bruce Township Board of Trustees set a public hearing for the MDOT project for 7 p.m. on June 18 at the Township Hall.
       Additionally, preliminary steps have been taken by the Macomb County Department of Roads for a $1.2 million project to rebuild 32 Mile Road from Van Dyke to Clinton Street.
       Bruce Township Supervisor Richard Cory said the township lost access to 33 Mile Road when the bypass was installed, and since 2009 it has worked to regain that access.
       He said the township recently received proposals from MDOT for two different plans to restore that access.
       "We're really just trying to regain what we lost," he said. "We definitely want public support."
       Cory said access would make developing the industrial corridor on 33 Mile Road easier, especially with recent developments like a senior living community in the works for the area.
       "If we got a hospital or something like that there'd be so many jobs," he said. "People could get good jobs, and when you get good jobs your kids can go to good colleges and everybody wins."
       He said it would likely ease up traffic on 32 Mile and Powell roads as well as at 34 Mile Road and Van Dyke.
       The township sought the support of officials from the Village of Romeo and Armada Township at a May 29 meeting, and with their feedback will take the plans before the public at the June 18 meeting.
       The Macomb County Department of Roads is proposing rebuilding E. 32 Mile Road into a three-lane paved road with a hike/bike path that would include curb and gutter work.
      
32 Mile reconstruction

       An email from Macomb County Department of Roads Director Bob Hoepfner sent last month indicated the project would be in the 2014-15 budget and may benefit from federal funding.
       The project would cost $960,000 for construction, $96,000 for design and $144,000 for construction engineering. Of those costs, $883,200 would be funded through federal sources.
       Since 80 percent of the project is federal funding, the remaining 20 percent would be split by the village and county by paying $158,400 each.
       Village Clerk Marian McLaughlin said the village's portion of the cost would come from its street funding, which includes money set aside for major, local and municipal streets.
       McLaughlin said she has tried to have the road paved for the past four years, so she is glad to see some progress made.
       "It would just really give the whole area a good boost and make it safer," she said.
       She said when speaking with the county, she asked that 32 Mile Road from Bailey Street to Clinton Street be painted as they are now.
       On May 19, the Village Board of Trustees granted McLaughlin permission to respond to Hoepfner's letter to say it is interested in the project.
       The Department of Roads also has plans in place to change the intersection at 32 Mile Road and Van Dyke this summer with an upgraded traffic signal and three-lane configurations.
      


Copyright 2000-2014 The Romeo Observer.
Retrieved 10/22/2014 at 11:50:06 PM.
Contact us at: PO Box 96, Romeo, Michigan, 48065
Phone: (586) 752-3524, Fax: (586) 752-0548
news @ romeoobserver.com
Web Site Services Provided By Romeo Computer Company, Inc.