Published at PO Box 96 124 W. St. Clair Romeo, MI 48065. Phone: (586)752-3524 Fax: (586)752-0548
Updated Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at 3 PM EST
Home Sports Community What's Happening Classifieds News Summary
BARBARA JACOBSBETTY PINNICK
Death notices . . .EUNICE ZIONS
LORRAINE BOVEEMARGARET BOLIO
Browse Full Text...
» Deadlines
Friday, 2 pm
Inserts

Friday, Noon
Retail Display
Editorial

Monday, Noon
Classified Display
Service Directory Display

Monday, 2 pm
Service Directory Liners

Monday, 3 pm
Classified Liners

All Holiday Deadlines are One Full Workday Earlier

You are Viewing an Archived Issue

Posted: 07/02/14


Above, 34 Mile Road from Campground to Fisher Road will become a paved road following approval from Macomb County.

(Observer photo by Chris Gray)

County approves paving
project for 34 Mile Rd

by CHRIS GRAY
Observer Staff Writer
      An agreement has been signed to begin work on paving a section of 34 Mile Road in Bruce Township.
       On June 20, the Macomb County Board of Commissioners approved of a contract between the Macomb County Department of Roads, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Bruce Township to pave 34 Mile Road from Campground to Fisher.
       The $472,500 project will have 80 percent of the cost paid for by Surface Transportation Funding from the state. The remaining 20 percent will be split between Bruce Township and the Department of Roads.
       District 7 County Commissioner Don Brown said he has worked on the project with Bruce Township, county and state officials for the past two years. He said he is glad to have helped facilitate intergovernmental cooperation to make the project happen.
       "It is a good project, that road is heavily traveled," he said. "It's going to make traveling through that area much easier and reduce wear-and-tear on vehicles."
       To pay for its portion, Bruce Township took out a $569,620 loan. The 12-year loan is shown as a $49,970 expense under street improvement in the 2014-15 budget, and includes a $2,500 fee for filing the loan through Macomb County. The township had to apply through the county since it couldn't produce the necessary collateral for the loan.
       Part of the cost for the loan is indirectly supplemented by the townships 1 percent administration fee. The tax collects money to pay for expenses in the assessing and treasurer departments, thereby freeing up funds to be used for the loan.
       Bruce Township Supervisor Richard Cory said plans for working on 34 Mile Road were in the works prior to his taking office, but is glad to see the project moving forward.
       "It's just one more road we can get paved, and I thought it was a good idea," he said. "They will start soon, hopefully."
       Cory said he understood the project could begin in August and might take two months to complete. The contract was set to begin July 1 and end Dec. 31, 2015, with the bidding process beginning as early as this month.
       The Bruce Township Board of Trustees unanimously supported the paving project on April 20, 2011. Cory said when the project is completed, it will create a loop from Fisher to 34 Mile Road back to Van Dyke that will be paved.
       "It may eliminate some of the traffic in Romeo," he said.
       Cory said a majority of the residents in the area were in support of the project, and only heard one objection from a resident who was concerned the paved road would increase traffic volumes.
       "People that live out there are happy," he said. "They've been on that bumpy road forever since they made it a road."
      


Copyright 2000-2014 The Romeo Observer.
Retrieved 10/24/2014 at 3:04:40 AM.
Contact us at: PO Box 96, Romeo, Michigan, 48065
Phone: (586) 752-3524, Fax: (586) 752-0548
news @ romeoobserver.com
Web Site Services Provided By Romeo Computer Company, Inc.